What do you do if your wife is struggling emotionally or spiritually?
As a husband, I screw this up all of the time.
What are the two easiest mistakes to make that seem totally logical and useful in this situation?
- We try to jump in and solve the problem with a magic wand and make things better……in like 3 minutes.
- If #1 doesn’t look promising, we get out of dodge as quickly as possible and hope the issue solves itself while we are far, far away.
So, don’t take my advice with #1 and #2 that do not work very well. Here are some ways that you can help a wife that is struggling emotionally or spiritually that my wife shared with me that would help a wife feel loved and supported when she shares her pain.
- I’m so sorry you are having a hard time. Thanks for sharing with with me.
- How about a hug or a cuddle?
- May I pray for you? (or) How may I pray for you?
- I hate it when you are feeling bad like this. Is there anything I can do to help?
- Do you just need to talk through things to process your feelings or are you looking for me to help with solutions?
You actually have to follow through with taking any of these approaches, so be prepared for that and it might take a little longer than 3 minutes. The biggest advice is that you do not want her to “feel” unloved or that you do not care. Making use of these tips might save many hours of frustration and despair for both you and your wife.